Accompany students and lecturers of the department to special places in Karlsruhe and learn more about studying at the KIT Department of Architecture and the city.
By clicking on the picture you will get to a YouTube video. External data is loaded and personal data (such as your IP address) may be transferred.
Details of the Art History Bachelor course
Degree and duration of studies
The Bachelor's programme in Art History at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology is designed for a standard period of study of 6 semesters. The total scope of study is 180 credit points (LP), whereby one LP should correspond to approximately 30 hours of work.
The title Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) is awarded.
Maximum duration of study: 12 semesters.
Supplementary elective subject outside art history
In addition to the subject Art History, a supplementary compulsory elective subject must be chosen from the following subjects and studied to the extent of 46 LP:
- History of Architecture and Theory of Architecture
- History of European Ideas
- German Studies
The following subjects are available with a practical component:
- Cultural Theory and Practice (KTP)
- Media Theory and Practice (MTP)
The supplementary elective subject outside art history does not yet need to be specified when applying for the degree.
All subject combinations of the humanities and social science programmes can be found in the brochure"Humanities and Social Science Programmes: General Section".
Programme structure and contents
The programme is divided into the following subjects:
- Fundamentals and Methods of Art Studies: modules amounting to 20 LP.
- Epochs and Styles: Modules in the amount of 20 LP
- Form and Meaning: Modules with a total of 20 LP
- Artists and Society: modules totalling 24 LP
- Applied Science: Module worth 12 LP
- Aesthetics and Cultural Theory: Module worth 12 LP
- A supplementary compulsory elective subject outside art history with a total of 46 LP.
- Interdisciplinary qualifications/key qualifications to the extent of 6 LP
- A professional internship with a duration of at least 6 weeks to the extent of 8 LP
Application and admission
Students can only begin their studies in Art History in the winter semester. Admission to the programme is restricted. Application is only possible for the core subject; the supplementary subject does not need to be specified in the application. The choice of the supplementary subject is made at the beginning of the programme.
German language skills for international applicants
In order to be able to take up German-language studies, international applicants must prove that they have the appropriate language skills. For the application you need at least B1-level knowledge. All certificates are accepted, but a certificate of participation in a B1 course is also sufficient. For enrolment, the DSH2 or one of the recognised equivalents must be presented. For further information, please contact the International Students Office.