Frequent Asked Questions – FAQ

Stay abroad  

When is the best time in my degree programme for a stay abroad?

Bachelor of Architecture: For Bachelor students, the best time is usually in the 5th and / or 6th semester of the Bachelor degree programme (the Bachelor thesis then moves to the 8th semester). The application for this takes place in the 3rd Bachelor semester!
Information about the possibility of a stay abroad from the 5th Bachelor semester onwards at individual partner universities is available from the FAi office (R246).

Master's in Architecture: For Master's students, the 1st and / or 2nd semesters are suitable for a stay abroad. (The application for this is already required in the 5th semester of the Bachelor's programme!)

Art history students can currently only take advantage of a stay abroad at a partner university in the Master's programme.

Which foreign partner universities does the department have?

On the faculty homepage under the heading "Internationales" you will find a link to the IStO, where you will find an overview of the partner universities sorted by country.

In addition, you can find information about the study programmes offered by each individual university via links

What partnerships are there?

There are two types of international partnerships:

• Erasmus partnerships with universities in Europe (EU, Switzerland, Norway, Turkey)
• Bilateral partnerships with partner universities in non-European countries

In the case of the Erasmus partnerships, the faculty has its own contracts with a fixed number of exchange places, which are only available to architecture students! In the case of partnerships in non-European countries, there are university-wide contracts.

Do I have to pay tuition fees at the partner university?

No. The KIT-Department of Architecture has contracts in place with partner universities so that you do not have to pay tuition fees there. However, small fees may be charged for costs such as insurance, contributions to student councils, and the use of materials, on the same basis as they are charged to local students.

The university where I would like to study has no contract with the KIT-Department of Architecture - what can I do?

In principle, it is also possible to apply to universities with which there is no contract in place, but ONLY in consultation with the International Coordinator at FAi, Dr. Judith Reeh.

In some cases, we are still negotiating with universities, while other universities have strict guidelines. In some cases, tuition fees at the local university are required if no contract exists. By reaching an agreement, we can avoid possible complications.

What is the department responsible for? What does the International Student Office (IStO) of KIT do?

The application procedure for a study place abroad via Erasmus and the selection of Erasmus outgoing students is handled by the department. The department will inform you by e-mail whether and which Erasmus place you have received. Before, during and after the stay abroad, the department is responsible for the professional support.
Your contact person is Dr. Judith Reeh in the FAi, International Coordination (R 138).

General information about the Erasmus+ program is provided by the IStO. It regularly offers information events.

After the faculty has confirmed a place, the IStO is responsible for the nomination at the PHS and the further organization of the stay abroad for all KIT students.

Can I do an internship abroad?

Yes, you can. Please contact the "KOOR-Erasmus Service BW" (Coordination Office for Practical Study Semesters) at the University of Applied Sciences for more information, for corresponding programmes that exist for internships abroad.

Can I work part-time?

Nationals of EU and EEA member states are entitled to work in any EU or EEA country without a work permit, provided the job is compatible with one’s studies.

In many countries, taking on a job is, in principle, not possible or attached to quite strict conditions (e.g. work permit). If you want to work there, you should in any case inquire before leaving the country at the respective consulate or embassy ( about the requirements for applying for such a work permit.

Therefore, you should not include the possibility of working in the host country with regard to your financial plans for the stay abroad from the beginning.

Do I need international health insurance?

Yes, before the beginning of the stay abroad, students must inform themselves about international health insurance and, if necessary, take out additional insurance. Some universities require a confirmation of insurance coverage abroad at the time of registration.

What support is offered in preparing for the stay abroad, e.g. in finding accommodation?

Information about accommodation at your host university is usually provided by the host university itself. In principle, there is no entitlement to housing - especially not for Erasmus students. A few universities provide their exchange students with accommodation in halls of residence.

To apply for a study visit abroad

Erasmus application period?

The application phase for the following winter and summer semester always begins at the end of the year and ends in mid-January. For example, for a semester abroad during the winter semester of 2022/23 or the summer semester of 2023, you must apply by January 16, 2022, at the latest. The exact dates can be found here.

Which documents must my application contain?

The following application documents must be submitted:

  • Information and proof of language skills (language certificate)

  • Certificate of enrolment

  • Proof of academic achievements

  • Curriculum vitae (tabular, max. two pages)

  • Letter of motivation (one page, in German)

  • Portfolio with at least three projects / drawings (max. 25 MB)

  • Confirmation of participation in the Buddy Program (printout of the completed registration form)

The application documents must be submitted in full and completed in the Moblity Online System. After you have been selected by your subject coordinator and you have accepted the place awarded to you, you will receive further information on your application from the IStO.

How should the letter of motivation for the Erasmus application be formulated? Should it be in German or in English?

For faculty-internal applications, the letter of motivation should be in German and not exceed one A4 page. It will be heavily weighted in the application.

Please take the opportunity to present your interest regarding your chosen place of study and your suitability. Above all, please refer to your first choice. In principle, however, you are free to design your letter of motivation as you wish.

If you register later at the partner university assigned to you, a letter of motivation in English or in the national language may be required.

Do I have to prove language skills?

Yes, you should in any case be able to prove basic knowledge of the language of your exchange country in advance. You can acquire this knowledge by taking a language course at the KIT Language Center. KIT offers a wide range of language courses. Please note, however, that you should register in due time.

We urgently advise you to attend an intensive course on site before the beginning of the semester and a language course abroad during your studies.

Here you can find more information about language skills

How do I prove my language skills?

You can prove your language skills through certificates of participation in language courses and successfully passed language tests. Language skills acquired at school (e.g. advanced courses) must be proven by submitting a certified copy of the certificate.

Selection process and nomination  

How does the selection process for an Erasmus place work?

The allocation of the exchange places is regulated by a selection committee to ensure a fair distribution of places.

The selection committee is composed of members of the status groups professors, academic staff and students of the KIT-Department of Architecture.

On the basis of the documents received and, if necessary, through an interview process where students are selected, the commission decides on the allocation of exchange places. The grade point average of one’s ECTS, the letter of motivation, language skills as well as one’s folder influence the selection process.

When and how will I be informed that I have been nominated for a study abroad program through Erasmus?

The FAi at the KIT-Department of Architecture informs students by e-mail after the selection committee meeting in early February about the outcome of the nominations.

What do I have to do after my nomination?

Information is added.

What happens if I have accepted an Erasmus place and then cancel it at a later date?

If you cancel your assured place, you will not be entitled to this place later on. Please be aware, however, that your cancellation will not only result in the loss of your place, but will also deprive your fellow students of the chance of taking this place to study abroad.

Can I subsequently extend my Erasmus place?

The extension of the exchange is only possible from one to two semesters. However, please note that this can be difficult under certain circumstances. Before applying, you should carefully consider whether you want to study abroad for one or two semesters.

Performance and recognition of performance    

How many ECTS credits do I have to achieve per semester abroad?

According to the study regulations, Bachelor's and Master's students must complete 30 ECTS credits per semester.

What credits can I earn abroad?

It depends on your study progress and the chosen foreign university which achievements you can take there.
You can find out from the foreign universities - usually via their homepage - which courses are offered there.

After the official registration, you will usually receive exact information about draft and course offers, registration deadlines from the respective International Coordinator of the partner university. However, many partner universities only announce the range of subjects offered at very short notice.

What do I have to do to have my foreign achievements recognised at the KIT Department?

Before your stay abroad, you have to make a selection of courses that you want to take at the foreign university. These courses are defined in a "Learning Agreement" of the host university and KIT.
Discuss with the respective subject representatives whether they recognise the foreign course as comparable to your own in terms of content and scope.
Then list your courses in the "Learning Agreement" and have it signed by the FAi and the responsible coordinators at the IStO. You can find information from the IStO about your stay abroad on the IStO website.

After your stay abroad, have your achievements recognised by the subject representatives or the Department Examination Office (two-stage procedure).
To do this, you need the transcript of records from the partner university and the recognition form from the department.

The transfer of the achievements gained abroad takes place in the Department Examination Office after confirmation by the examination board by Ms Hofmann.





Department of Architecture international

International Coordination
Dr. Judith Reeh

Erasmus Office
Silke Marx M.A.

Office of the Dean of Studies
20.40 Room 139
0721 - 608 42155